[pct-l] Attn 2010 hopefuls...

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:26:29 CST 2010

Hi,

My wife and I have put in about 100 of work to create a website to help new
long-distance hikers plan their PCT thru-hikes.  We put in a lot of time and
energy to make sure it's not just another "how *I* hiked *my* hike"
website.  We try to consolidate all the PCT thru-hike planning info on the
web, improve it where we can, and make it free and easy to access by
everyone.  That way we encourage you to Hike Your Own Hike.  This is our way
of giving back to the PCT community.

So check us out at: www.PlanYourHike.com <http://www.planyourhike.com/>

We have all the usual information on permits, resupply strategies, gear
selection, etc...  but we also some awesome unique stuff for you.

A few things unique to our site that we think you'll like:

1) A very detailed page for Southbound thru-hikers.  I myself was a
southbounder, and that helped in putting together the southbounder's
page<http://www.planyourhike.com/planning/southbound.html>.

2) Information on 98
resupply<http://www.planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.html#pctrp>points
along the PCT.  This took about 30 hours to put together.  We're sure
it is - by far - the most complete list of PCT resupply points available
anywhere.  We intend to add to it and keep it updated as time goes by.

3) Waypoints for Trail
Angels<http://www.planyourhike.com/maps/gps.html#angels>.
We have waypoints for every road crossing, resupply point, and all the other
vehicle-accessible points-of-interest along the PCT.  The file comes in
several different formats that you can load into your TomTom, Garmin, or
Magellan vehicle-navigation system.  Freaking awesome.

4) The PCT Library <http://www.planyourhike.com/media/index.html> : movies,
podcasts, books, articles, etc relevant to thru-hiking the Pacific Crest
Trail.  Some of which you can watch online.

5) A very thorough links page <http://www.planyourhike.com/links/index.html>.
We consolidated all the (working) links from *all* the PCT-related sites we
could find and put in them in one place.  Its helpful when doing research
for your hike.

6) Advertising: my wife and I live in Portland and intend to use any ad
revenue generated by the website to provide awesome trail magic for
thru-hikers in Northern Oregon and Southern Washington!  We don't for sure
if it'll work (since we've never hosted any advertising before), but we're
hopin' so!

Anyway, that's enough shameless self-promotion.  We hope our hard work will
eventually win us a place amongst all the other great thru-hike planning
websites.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Austin & Niki Williams