[pct-l] Is Faster & Farther for you?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 19 15:22:53 CST 2010

Not to step on Steel-Eye's argument here, but nothing below precludes
carrying a light pack. Carrying a light pack does not force you to
hiker faster and farther. However, a heavier pack might force you to
hike slower and less far. I would much rather rest and relax with low
mileage days by choice rather than by force due to an excessive load
full of "luxuries."

Speaking for myself here, the real luxury isn't the "stuff", it's the
freedom to take a side-trail or climb an extra hill or go a few extra
miles because nothing is weighing me down. Being able to go farther
faster means I can get to places that in the past I could only stare
at on the map because there was never enough time with the mileage
limitations that a heavy load placed on me. I also enjoy the freedom
to walk upright and naturally with my head erect and facing forward,
and no fear of stumbling or getting hurt by being unstable under the
load, or fear of drowning while tangled in a back brace. I actually
swam last year with my pack on fully strapped to my body.

Were I to start a hike a little earlier than most, I still don't
think I would need a heavy pack with an aluminum frame to carry all
the things I needed. We don't get much in the way of winter where I
live, but I hike with guys who carry satellite phones, cross-cut
saws, large loppers, full-sized shovels and other tools and even they
don't feel a need for aluminum frame packs anymore.

If people enjoy carrying a heavy load, more power to them. But I
enjoy lighter so much better. Backpacking is fun again. And I can
hike with people in their 60s and 70s and we all have fun acting like
nimble little kids again.

Diane