[pct-l] Is Faster & Farther for you?

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:33:56 CST 2010

Most of the NOBO hikers get here to Steven's Pass in late August thru early
September. They all finish the hike with no weather problems.

One of the main excuses for arriving late in September and into the ugly
weather up here in the North Cascades is too much partying  and hanging out
in California. Instead of playing 2-3 days (over and over again) down south
try just 1-2 days each time.  Travelling with a "group" seems to be a
downfall for some hikers. It is only going to be a problem when you all get
up north. Fun and games until you get up here and then it's into the
cold, daily rain (or snow) and the realization you can't wait out the
weather. Many have arrived here at the Dinsmore's and planned on one or 2
nights and end up staying 4-5 trying to wait out the rain and snow. Too
late. Starting mid September the weather every year turns crummy. Don't let
the party nights down south cause you to not be able to finish your hike. A
couple of recent years the hikers were stopped by mid to late September.
That's cut off at Snoqualmie and Steven's. That's hiking 2400 miles only to
not be able to finish their hike.

Check out the journamls from '07 and '08. Probably about 30 hikers for those
two years didn't make it. HYOH !!!

PCT MOM