[pct-l] Ressuply from Sonora Pass

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 11:58:34 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:39 AM, anna mathys <haexli333 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm trying to figure out what is the best place to send a ressuply parcel
> around Sonora Pass. Kennedy Meadows Resort or Bridgeport? In Bridgeport one
> can find everything, but what facilities can be found in KM? KM is closer to
> the PCT. How is the traffic on Sonora Pass for hitchhiking? Any opinions?

I've sent a resupply box to KM twice ('08 and '09).  It's a ten mile
hitch, plus a mile or so walk from the highway.  The turn-off to the
resort is clearly marked by a 'Kennedy Meadows'  sign, contrary to
what the Yogi book says.

The main facility was rebuilt just a couple years ago after a fire, so
it's in really nice shape. KM has a fairly well-stocked store, as
resort stores go.  It looked better-stocked last year.  There's also a
good restaurant, and a bar.   Prices are in line with resort
expectations.  I've never stayed in the cabins, they've been full when
I got there.  Showers are not available.

There are multiple campgrounds along the road to KM, and lots of
campers. (I've gotten there around July 4th.)  By the time I've gotten
my act together, it's been too dark to to figure out how to arrange
for a campground site, so I walked back up the road and cowboy camped
behind a big tree near a horse trailer unloading area.  No skeeters
around either time.

I think there's more traffic heading east (to 395) than west (to KM).
Two hitches down - one took 90 minutes (there were two of us) and one
took zero minutes. (Both in late afternoon, week of July 4th.)  Two
hitches back - one took ten minutes, one took two hours, both around
7am.  (The two-hour one was the only time I tried using the 'hiker to
trail' bandanna.   I got so excited when a car finally stopped that I
dropped it and didn't notice.  If  someone finds a class of '09
bandanna near the KM exit, it's mine.)