[pct-l] Fw: Trekking poles?

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Jan 19 00:11:22 CST 2010

I just wanted to chime in on this subject, even if it is belated.

As we have read from numerous posters, hiking poles have helped many
accomplish a variety of uses such as:

-maintaining balance and shock absorption, especially while descending
steep, rocky summer trails,
-tarp and shelter supports,
-rattlesnake and bear deterrent,
-creek crossing "third leg," and
-poor attempts at self-arrest when falling on steep snow.

The nice thing about a hiking pole is that it is usually in your hand and,
therefore, at the ready should you loose your balance, twist your ankle, or
suddenly almost step on a snake. These all relate to summer and dry trail
walking. However, when it comes to snow, the right pole can save your life.

Most hikers hear a lot about ice axes and that they should learn how to use
them for self-arresting nasty and dangerous falls on steep snow and, thus,
carry them into the Sierra along with some sort of traction devices for
their shoes. So, leaving Kennedy Meadows you'll witness many hikers carrying
axes strapped to their packs. For the most part, these axes remain there for
the duration, never used, because summer hikers aren't familiar with when
they will need them until it is painfully taught after their first fall.

What we have found is that most folks don't know when they'll need to have
them in hand until it is too late and they are sliding downhill with their
axe still strapped to their pack. They don't know how to recognize dangerous
slopes and snow conditions. Sure, they'll learn as they go, but usually not
until after the first fall. The other factor that prevents thru hikers from
having their axes in hand is that they are often reluctant to stop, evaluate
the conditions, and put the axe in hand, before continuing across the snow
field, either up or down.

So, what we encourage hikers to utilize from KM on or from Manning south, is
a self-arrest pole. Two we have come to like after 30 years of playing with
them, the Black Diamond "Whippet" and the Lifelink "The Claw"
http://www.garmontusa.com/390001.html. Although they are not "certified,"
because they are always in your hand and at the ready, either design has
saved our lives quite a few times (even guides and backcountry instructors
fall once in a while). I believe the Claw can be switched onto the bottom
half of the Lifelink regular hiking pole once you reach KM, then switched
off and back to a summer hiking pole say up in Tahoe, when the snow and
slopes are less severe. This way you only need purchase one pole and "The
Claw" as a switched out accessory.

For the sake of balance, which is of utmost importance when walking on snow
with top heavy packs, we encourage hikers to also bring a regular hiking
pole with a snow basket as a second pole for the other hand. This pole can
be picked up at KM or the snow basket, alone, if you started with two poles
from the border.

Although carrying an ice axe looks cool, it is of no use if it's not in hand
when you need it. Either train to recognize dangerous slopes that you
wouldn't proceed across normally without an axe in hand and temper yourself
to stop and unstrap it before moving on, or use a self-arrest pole and
hiking pole combination and don't worry too much about "being ready." Of
course, always keep a trained eye out for dangers like icy, steep slopes,
submerged rocks, logs, and trees, wind wells, sun cups, thin ice and snow
bridges, nasty post-holing conditions, and the complications of steep
ascents and descents on snow.

With a self-arrest pole in hand, at least you'll be safe should you fall on
snow (I can think of one tricky slope up on Sonora Pass's northbound
descent), and you can keep on using it the rest of the summer with an
accessory change. So, hiking poles not only help you in a variety of ways,
they can even save your life!

Mtnned
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca