[pct-l] Thru hiker questions

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:30:21 CST 2010

The average, according most other hikers I've talked to, is 450 - 500 miles
per pair.  That's 5.8 pairs for the whole trail.  Can't buy 0.8 pairs of
shoes, so call it 6.  The possible '7' comes from the fact that your choice
of resupply points may prohibit you from getting your new pair of shoes at
exactly 500 miles.  So, you'd have to send them to an earlier resupply
point... which means you'll be getting less than 500 miles out of each
pair...

... but a lot depends on hiking style.  Some people will wear a pair of
shoes for more than 500 miles... without feeling the breakdown.

If you include your training shoes, I'd say 6-7 pairs.  But HYOH.

The uncertainty may be yet another reason to not buy all your shoes at
once.  Budget for 7 pairs, leave the money with your support person, and
have them buy and send each new pair as you need them.  Then you don't have
to worry about buying too many or the wrong size.

Just my 2 cents.

-Austin