[pct-l] Trekking poles?

Deep Desert Expeditions mike at deepdesert.com
Thu Jan 14 21:45:03 CST 2010

I've walked a couple thousand miles thru the Utah desert and Grand Canyon--all with my super makalus.  You can look around without fear of falling, your arms get a work out as you're on your feet for so many hours everyday. On the up and downs they rock, across flats you simply hold the middle in a balanced position and walk on.
If your hands and thumb get tired, I'd ask if you're holding the poles in the most efficient way: take your hands and put them thru the strap from the bottom, reaching down across the base of the strap as you grip the pole (so it's below/between your thumb and forefinger--just like a ski pole); you can push off, you can drop the pole without losing it--and you never really need to "grip" the thing.
I don't consider them "optional"; they're required gear (you can always cast them away at a stop if you hate them).

If the world treats me well, I'll be using my sticks on a thru hike on the PCT this  year  :-)

Moab Mike