[pct-l] Trekking poles?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:48:13 CST 2010

PNW Hiker wrote:

What are the advantages in long distance trips? Do they help your back,
knees? Anyone given them up and preferred it that way? contra wise?

They probably cost more in overall energy to use because it's extra weight
to move down the trail and it causes a lot more motion in your upper body
than you'd otherwise have.

On the other hand, they spread out the strain load across more of your body,
reducing the odds of catastrophic failure in high-use areas.  Or to say it
more simply, they tend to take strain off the muscles, bones, and joints in
the legs, which is where over-use injuries usually occur, and also help
prevent falls.

I know that some people get along better without poles but I for one don't
go hiking anywhere without them.  I probably wouldn't be able to do
long-distance hiking except for my trekking poles.  Best gear I've ever
bought.  On flat ground I could take them or leave them, but they're useful
going uphill and they're *pure gold* going downhill.

If you've never used them before, be aware that it might take some practice
before they become second nature and really help you.  They can feel pretty
awkward at first.  Most people find the best technique is to plant the
opposite pole with each footstep and to use them aggressively, i.e. put some
weight on them.  I've seen some people who just kind of tap a pole on the
ground every couple of steps and I don't see where that helps anything.

Eric