[pct-l] Trail Maps and Data Books - Which combos are enough?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 13 19:22:33 CST 2010

When it comes to which guide books will serve your needs you'll get a
lot of opinions. You'll have to weigh them against what is important
to you.

As a solo hiker, I enjoyed having something to read each evening and
I enjoyed the flowery words and interesting natural history of the
trail available in the guide books.

I also enjoyed making fun of and being angry with the guide book
author for his flowery words and bald-faced lies (eg. Your route now
becomes more downhill than up -- said with a straight face as I
climbed for two more hours).

If that sort of thing is not worth much to you, then you'll probably
prefer the other resources.