[pct-l] Weather in the Sierras

Wes Rose wb104475 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 13 14:38:23 CST 2010

Back around 1978 or 1979, we were camped around 8000 feet in the Sierra and swimming in
a lake.  Cumulus clouds appeared over the horizon and about 25 minutes later we were in a serious
hail storm.  We exited the lake and made our way to camp for shelter.  The ice-filled water covered our
barefooted feet to the ankles.  I did not panic - much - not having a clue about weather in the Sierra,
but I do recall screaming at an occupant in our already zipped-up tent something about frostbite.  An
hour later we were swimming in the lake again on that clear, beautiful July day.