[pct-l] Weather in the Sierras

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:38:03 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Joan Henriksen
<joan.henriksen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to the forum and I have been enjoying all of your posts.  My
> husband and I are thru-hiking this season and I was wondering about what
> kind of weather to expect in the Sierras.  A friend of mine is training us
> on ice axe use and snow travel so I feel confident about handling the
> terrain, but I am not sure what to expect weather wise.  While I have a lot
> of winter camping experience I don't have any high altitude experience.  We
> don't plan on being in the Sierras until after June 15th.  Anyone
> encountered any crazy weather that time of year?

Most probable are amazingly blue skies, with the possibility of
late-day clouds building to a point that may or may not produce a
shower, maybe even a bit of hail. Mt. Whitney often generates its own
turbulent weather, so best to get up there early in the day.

Night-time temps are likely to be around the freezing point.

Last year produced a lot of unusual weather around that time that
persisted for two or three weeks.  Rain/snow and below average temps.
Good places to check the forecast when you get up there are
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/whitney_weather.htm  and
http://www.easternsierraforecast.com/