[pct-l] Fwd: PCT2009 Yearbook Submission

The Incredible Bulk ki6asp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 14:40:42 CST 2010

Here is Mystic's submission letter.

     Dear PCT 09ers      (IM sorry about the length but please take
your time and read....
   Hello and congratulations to each and all of you for your
blistering achievements and accomplishments carried out this summer on
the Pacific Crest Trail. Like each year it was a very unique and
special cast of hikers all partaking in some of the most memorable and
fascinating days of our lives. Though the trail at our feet has been
trekked before us many times over, it was the people of this year that
made it a fresh and exciting experience. Some of you I met along the
way, but many more I did not, yet each of us contributed in giving
personality and character to the class of 09. To help bring this
summer's hike to a visualized summary I am now asking that you
contribute once more your time and some effort into reading this
message and working together with me in creating a yearbook slideshow
that can suitably represent this years rocking PCT class of 09.

   So first of all: Currently I am working with an email list of about
220 hikers compiled by Scholar with the help of Firefly(Georgi)and
LRod's(Donna) contact list,plus a few more. Undoubtedly there are
still many hikers that have slipped through the cracks so I'm asking
that if ANYONE notices any lacks in the list to please forward this
message to them or email me so I can be sure to add them. This will
assist me in making sure no one is left out as well as give me depth
and the most varied perspective in putting this project together. I
will put one more message on PCT-L and Trail Journals as well as the
PCT09 Facebook and Yahoo groups.
   The PCT yearbook tradition is a brainchild of a past and current
hiker, WeatherCarrot. Started in 04, it has been carried out annually
in the off season each year by a team of hikers in conjunction with
the rest of the trail community. The basic premiss of the yearbook is
to bring a wide,concise and geographically north representation of the
trail in all its glory to an audience of both hikers and non/or
potential hiker folk. It aims to represent trail life and its many
facets such as stunning landscapes, interesting people, unusual
situations, wildlife, town life, trail angels, painful blisters,
weathered gear, feats of eating, etc. While the main audience to which
it will appeal will be the class of its year, it also should give
outside viewers an interesting perspective to which they can gain
insight on the trail and its community of hikers. This is where your
photos and efforts will be most appreciated.
    With advances in technology it has become both easier and more
arduous. Easier in the sense that due to larger formatted memory
cards, photos and video can now be taken in abundancy with little cost
by rather basic camera equipment. An extremely efficient method for
hikers attempting to maintain their desired lightweight approach yet
still record a thorough account of their hikes. More difficult in the
sense that more photos often means more work in the editing leg of the
process as its impossible to include all images in the "keeper"
list.... so in short, the more sifting through your own photos you can
do the easier it will be for me to start putting everyones submissions
into action. I'll explain how to approach this first step.
    Basically I'd like to see all of everyones pictures and will
accept however many are sent for consideration. Get a chance to see
how everyone else approached photographing the hike. What I'm asking
for as far as editing on your behalf goes is that you take the time to
remove photos that are just not usable. This includes way over exposed
or underexposed shots, shots that are extremely out of focus and
duplicate or redundant shots. For example if you took 20 shots of Mt
Hood, a rattlesnake or oil wrestling in the same day just choose a few
that you think were the best. It's a huge help for me if everyone can
take this time to do this instead of me trying to sift all the photos
myself. Once you have been able to whittle down your collection place
your photos on CD into 5 separate folders:Southern CA, Central CA,
Northern CA, Oregon and Washington. If you have the time try to put
trailnames to people and places the best you can.
    As far as file size goes I'm looking for jpeg formats at high
resolution. At least (1600 X 1200 pixels) NOT COMPRESSED! The higher
quality the photo the more cropping and work can be done with it in
post and the better it will look when enlarged.If your pictures are
smaller go ahead and send them anyway and Ill still try to work with
them. Same goes for RAW/NEF files.If you need to send multiple cds
thats fine too. As far as content goes I really want whatever you
have. ALL OF IT WILL BE CONSIDERED. Natures shots and people shots
will be a greater part of the show but funny and unusual shots are
needed as well. Artistic shots and macro shots are also great. No
discretion needed. If you have video you shot on your camera go ahead
and send anything in you think would be great for the project. Less
talk or narrative is best due to the fact that the show will be set to
music. If you recorded many hours then please pick and choose what you
send.Last is music. Here as well Id like input. Send me some songs on
your cds or give me some suggestions to listen too. A variety of music
will be needed so the more ideas the better. Anything will help.
   Id like to have all submissions by the 15th of December. This
project is huge and will take a lot of time so the sooner I can begin
the work the better chance it will be done by kickoff. It will not be
shown in full till then nor will it be mailed so please try to find me
there if your interested in owning one. If your not planning to be at
kickoff please mail an address to which you would like it mailed to on
the CDs you send me. The project is done on a volunteer basis but
there certainly will be costs involved such as software, and
printing.Id like also to make a hard case for this year or at least a
sleeve with a well designed cover. So it will be of no charge to you
but any donations to the yearbook will be greatly appreciated. This
can be sent with your CDs as well or mailed separate. The address to
mail to is{  MICHAEL SMITH PCT ,374 NORTH BENNINGTON RD.   BENNINGTON
NH  03442  } I look forward to receiving your photos and making this
worth your while.
Hope everyone is now getting over trail emo and thinking ahead to next
years season.  Thanks for everything...  Mystic*  (If you have any
questions youd like to ask email them to me or give a call 6035882082)

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

--
Tom KI6ASP
The Incredible Bulk