[pct-l] Backpacking with a bunion info

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Thu Jan 7 22:54:57 CST 2010

To all of you old hikers out there (particularly women):

I have developed a bunion on my right foot. I use orthotics. it doesn't stop me from backpacking and it causes no pain to backpack, but it seems to be getting worse (bigger). Any experience with this? I've ruled out surgery because of the prolonged recovery and I have heard that that the bunion comes back. I guess I am looking for non surgical alternatives to treat this--I've used orthotics and Yoga toes to stretch out my toes, but to no avail.

Thanks.

Fireweed