[pct-l] SoCal in winter - the Santa Monicas

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 7 18:19:13 CST 2010

On Thursday 07 January 2010 11:08:00 J J at Ridge Trail wrote:
> Hi Jona,
>
> You might want to take a look at the Santa Monica Mountains:
> http://www.nps.gov/samo/index.htm.
>
> Almost always good weather. Steep ravines, City and ocean views. There is
> the Backbone Trail in the Santa Monicas which you could research online.
> And there is public transportation to some of the trailheads.

My GF and I were considering that, but the only camping allowed is in
developed campgrounds, there's no backcountry camping allowed. At least that's
the opinion of the ranger I talked to. The NPS has a group campground, but
that's it. The only other options would be camping at the adjacent state
parks, if that would work out.

Gary