[pct-l] wow thats a big camera

Tom Holz (Bigfoot) tom-pct at spacing-guild.net
Wed Jan 6 18:49:22 CST 2010

jeff.singewald at comcast.net wrote:

> Tom,
>
> If your goal is to take some exceptional pictures and this is a high
> priority for you, go ahead and carry the camera and don't worry about
> the advise of others.

Thanks :).  Carrying as much camera gear as I'm considering will be a
big change for me.  On the AT in 2004 I discarded my pack lid, water
filter, stove, and sleeping bag (went through the Whites in a fleece
liner!) all to reduce my weight.  That year I hiked with a 5 oz. Pentax
point & shoot, taking 2200 pictures in 3 months.  The limitations of my
camera hit me right where it hurt (indoor, dawn, dusk, and other
low-light situations), so now I'm considering a heavier, faster camera
system:

   Panasonic DMC-GF1 micro four-thirds body (9 oz.)
   20mm (40mm equiv) f/1.7 pancake lens (3 oz.)
   3 batteries @ 2 oz. each (6 oz.)

This bundle is ~18 oz., and additional lenses will be >9 oz. each.
If I go with a solar charger, the panels will add 6-10 oz, with maybe
another 2-3 oz. of adapters and such.  Plus the mental weight of
managing the logistics.  Plus the weight, like canoeman said, of fearing
material damage.

It all adds up, and I was briefly considering carrying a "high-end"
point and shoot like the Canon S90 or Panasonic DMC-LX3 instead.  In
fact, I still may end up carrying one of them because--even with spare
batteries--either camera would be lighter than another lens for the GF1,
and both would add excellent macro and reasonable zoom shots.

I think the trade-offs between weight, capability, and logistical
complexity are interesting. :)

> In 2006, I was not one of the ultralight hikers as my base weight was
> about 16-17 lbs and I had absolutely no issues or concerns and I used
> thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my thru-hike.  And the weight was
> never a factor in limiting my daily mileage or fun factor.

This is good to hear.  I'm going work hard to keep the rest of my gear
very light.. e.g. cuben tarp vs silnylon tent, esbit vs canister stove,
and quilt vs sleeping bag.  Even with all that, I'm guessing I'll end up
with more than 12 lbs on my back before food & water.

 > Enjoy your hike,

Thanks!

Tom (Bigfoot)