[pct-l] esbit stoves

sojo hendrix sojo42 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 14:23:54 CST 2010

During the time I used an Esbit on the AT, I recall using on average
about 2/3 of a tablet per solo dinner meal. My dinners were usually quick
cook rices (Lipton) or pastas (Pasta Roni). So the 2/3 tablet brought the
water to a boil, then cooked the meal for a few minutes.
Meals continue to cook inside the heated pot, so I would remove the it from
the stove and extinguish the flame asap to save fuel.

I'm planning on using the Esbit on the PCT this year. The downsides that I
see have been mentioned: residue left on the pot (causing me to put my cook
pot in a ziploc inside of its carry bag); and the chemical odor while
burning.  The odor is definitley a repellent, since other hikers will not
perch next to you while you're cooking, and may very well repel other animal
species as well!

Since it can take several seconds of flame on the tablet to light it, I used
a trick involving birthday candles, which are small, slim, and weigh
nothing. I would light the candle, then use it to light the fuel tab. :)

Sojourner