[pct-l] esbit stove

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Wed Jan 6 10:43:59 CST 2010

Hi Isabella,

I used the BPL titanium Esbit wing stove for a while... but eventually
traded it in for a canister stove.

It worked pretty well in calm weather. But, I had a hard time getting the
Esbits to burn well if there was even the slightest amount of wind. They
would burn out before the water would boil (despite some elaborate
wind-screen setups).

Another thing I found inconvenient is that black sticky gunk that
accumulates on the bottom of your pot from the chemicals burning. After
cooking I would usually set my pot down on the ground, and then some dirt
and rocks and stuff would stick to that black sticky gunk... and then it
would get on my hands... and my other gear. It made quite a mess.

I have to say I like the canister stove much better. It's easier and more
efficient and not much heavier (I use a MSR Pocket Rocket and the small
isobutene canisters).

BTW, If anyone does use Esbits and would like to buy some tablets at a
discount I have about 100 individually sealed tablets left over from my
thru-hike prep a few years ago. Send me an email if you are interested and
I'll give you a good deal.

Happy trails,
Erik the Black

Maps & Ultralight Trail Guides - By Blackwoods Press
* Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 2nd Edition
In-stock 2/15/10 (Pre-order and save 20%)
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/pct/atlas/

* NEW! Pacific Crest Trail Wall Map
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/pct/map/

* John Muir Trail Atlas (Coming Spring '10)
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/jmt/atlas/

* FREE Ultralight Gear Planner Tool
http://www.blackwoodspress.com/bonuses/gearplanner.htm

.