[pct-l] Gluten free resupply

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Tue Jan 5 17:53:06 CST 2010

One of the main reasons we've decided to go with resupply packages is my
partners blood-allergy to gluten.  She can handle the small amount that are
in some products, but has to avoid heavy glutens (pasta, crackers, etc) and
feels best if she avoids gluten altogether.  This eliminates a lot of easy
hiker meals, particularly those found at the more limited resupply points.
She's also fairly susceptible to sugar highs and lows, so if we can resupply
with snacks with less refined sugars, lower GI carbs, that might help as
well.

So we've made the decision to prepare our resupply boxes over the next three
months, but we're still feeling a little unsure about the decision as it's
going to be a fair bit of work, we're concerned about freshness of all the
ingredients in our boxes, we don't necessarily have someone in the US to
hold and ship the boxes for us, and all the products we want to order are in
the US so we're looking at pretty high shipping, duty, tax, brokerage costs
to get it up here.

So, I suppose my question is this: has anybody with gluten allergies or
intolerance hiked, supplying on the go and how did it work out?

Cheers,

P178