[pct-l] A backpackers best friend

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jan 3 09:24:55 CST 2010

I expect Unsupported Reinhold to be going for the Super Senior JMT Unsupported record this year.  I true record for the books.

Say, the other day when Brick, Strider, Kelty Kid, and I had lunch with 97-year old Glen Dawson in Pasadena, CA, Glen would drop bombshells on us at the dinning room lunch table.  He did it casually as it was no big deal.  He would say things like, "I was in on the search party to find Walter Starr Jr."  "I summitted  the last unclimbed 14,000 footer in the Sierras", etc., etc., etc.  It was unbelievable to be listening to it all.  It was like you were in a dream world.  He let me look at his hand written dairy with pictures from about 1927 when he was over here in Las Vegas and climbed Mt. Charleston.

Later up in his retirment home apartment, he says "Come over here and look at this picture hanging on the wall.  It was a black and white of him as a young man.  Then he says, "Ansel Adams took it."  He knew Ansel Adams very well and had many outdoor experiences with him.  You are speechless and cannot respond to things like that.  This will be like Unsupported Reinhold when he sets the new Super Senior record.  I plan to support the attempt with secret Jack Daniel's trail refreshers.

The Switch Back