[pct-l] Tahoe Rim Trail

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 1 21:05:39 CST 2010

I did the TRT this past summer.

To be honest, while I think the TRT is a great trail for those near the area or for a first time thru-hike, I was underwhelmed
by the non-PCT portions of the trip for the most part. (Carson mtns and the Mt Rose wilderness excepted..basically the southern half of the trail
I liked the best).

Logistically it is easy. The trail is mellow and resupply is a breeze. Perfect for a first time thru-hiker.

But coming from CO, and having to fly in, I did not really think it was worth it for me.

I felt like the northern half of the trail had the feel of local open space more than a wilderness. People trail running,
mtn biking or out for a quick after work hike. Nothing wrong with that..it reminds me of Boulder Open Space...which
I love. But, I usually don't fly into Denver to go backpacking in the Boulder Open Space. :D

Soooo..I enjoyed my time on the TRT because, hey, I was backpacking. But, it was not quite a trail I'd suggest
going out of your way to do. If I was lived in the area, I'd have done it a heartbeat.

Again, this is just my opinion. Other people have done the trail and loved it.

YMMV.

My TRT info, journal and photos:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/tahoe-rim-trail-journal.html

--Thoreau