[pct-l] Tahoe Rim trail and Wonderland trail

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Jan 1 19:51:57 CST 2010

Despite living near Portland, I haven't done the Wonderland Trail because I don't like being told I must camp in a given spot each and every night. I would suspect you might have a hard time getting the permits if you just walked into the ranger station from the PCT to see what was available.

I did through-hike the TRT in 2001. It is a lovely 165 mile loop that includes about 45 miles of the PCT on its SW and W sides. It can be done in 9 days but 14 is more the norm. The good news is that your PCTA through-hiker's permit means you can avoid the hassles of trying to get a permit for the extremely popular Desolation Wilderness, although you will need a permit for the rest of the TRT. Contact the TRTA for details. The bad news is that water is very scarce on the NE and E sides of the loop. Tahoe City makes a great lay-over spot since the TRT runs right through the town; large grocery stores, an outfitter, good restaurants and motels.

Enjoy.