[pct-l] Bear-bagging?

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Fri Jan 1 19:07:44 CST 2010

Most of us sleep with our food without incident for the bulk of the trail.
On my various times on the trail I haven't met a PCT hiker who mentioned
having any trouble with rodents on the PCT.  Bears getting into bags is a
definite risk, though it can be mitigated significantly by not camping in
high risk locations (rest stops, weekend camper destinations, right beside
or on the trail, etc)  Marmots will have at your bag if left unattended in
the Sierras (behind Whitney and on Muir pass, for example)

You won't see many hung bags anywhere on the trail.  In most areas it
wouldn't be necessary, and where the bears are a risk it almost definitely
wouldn't be effective.

Cheers,
P178