[pct-l] 2011 posible hike gear thoughts

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Feb 26 22:29:52 CST 2010

It sounds to me like you're planning for a more hardcore experience
than you are likely to have. It's not going to be so cold you'll need
a 0 degree bag and part of the time it's too hot for a 20 degree bag.
If that's all you have, then you'll live, but if you have a choice,
choose a 20 degree bag.

You really don't need a bear canister until you hit the High Sierra.
There are not that many rodents. The bears won't bother you.

You can shop most of the way. Here are a few resources I used to get
an idea of the kinds of stores along the way:
http://www.purebound.com/PCT/resupply.htm
http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/pctresupply.html
http://asthecrowflies.org/resuply-schedule-for-my-pct-pacific-crest-
trailhike/

As for your feet, the most difficult thing to deal with will be how
hot it is for your feet on the trail, especially at the very
beginning. Your shoes should be breathable and not waterproof. Wool
socks are fine, but you may not like them to be real thick. It's good
to have several different kinds of socks so you can find relief if
one kind isn't working.

You'll want to air out your feet when you rest. Take a few changes of
socks so you can wear one pair and have the other airing out in the
back pocket of your pack. Bring lots of blister care stuff. Almost
everybody gets blisters. I never get blisters but I got lots of them
on the PCT. Be careful about blisters because the PCT is so even
you'll end up favoring your blistered feet somehow and the
consistency of the trail will beat your abnormal gait into your
knees, hips and back and you might end up with what seems like a
totally unrelated stress injury. Be ready to try anything so as not
to let foot problems snowball into worse problems later.