[pct-l] 2011 posible hike gear thoughts

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Feb 26 20:33:08 CST 2010

Ray wrote:
> please give any thoughts on gear I am thinking about using.

Overall, I think you are over planning.

> Either a jetboil or a homemade alcohol stove the size of a hockey
> puck

Either could work, but keep in mind that you will carry this stove a lot
more than you will use it. Which would you rather carry?

> ( I used it in December camping in craters of moon national park,
> worked o.k.  in afternoon at 30 +/- degree F but morning was a pain
> to light since it was around 10 +/- degree F).

You will not be cooking at 10 F on the PCT.

> A snowshoe 0 degree bag all the way since it should cover whatever
> Mother Nature hits me with.

That is warmer and probably heavier than you really need. I think most
people carry a 20 F bag. With a 20 F bag you will sleep cold a few
times, but overall it will serve you well.

> Tent is still up in the air, but like sleeping bag gonna plan for the
> worst.

Plan for what you can reasonably expect. Otherwise you will be carrying
more tent than necessary. As with everything else in your pack, you will
be carrying your tent a lot more than you will be sleeping in it.

> Gonna just start out with bear canister since it is water and rodent
> proof also.

And is another 2 1/2 pounds of unnecessary weight.

> Two 2L platypus water bags, one 90 oz camelback, one nalgeen btl for
> tea/mixed drinks,

That capacity may be a little on the high side, but there may be
stretches where you will be glad you have it.

> will keep all full in desert

That is not necessary. Some water sources in the desert are fairly close
together. There are times when you will want to carry your full capacity
of water, but there will also be times when it is just not necessary.

> but less in Oregon and Washington

There are long waterless stretches in Oregon too.

> based on river and stream Qty.

That is what should determine how much water you carry all along.

> A Sweetwater filter with extra sterilize drops.

Whether to filter is a personal choice. Having a backup is a good idea.

> Clothing currently planned will be: REI 100% polyester long underwear
> & top,

Good idea. It can get cold at night.

> wool socks,

You may quickly wish you were wearing lighter socks. Your feet will be
hot in southern CA.

> wool cap,

Good idea.

> Avalanche snow pants (light, very warn and waterproof),

You will probably never wear them.

> cargo pants,

I loved having lots of pockets.

> long sleeve wool shirt,

You won't wear it. In southern CA, you will want to wear something that
keeps the sun off of your skin and breathes well. If you get cold, you
have enough layers without the wool shirt.