[pct-l] update on Blackberry GPS

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Fri Feb 26 13:57:15 CST 2010

Several days ago I posted for feedback on the gps app for Blackberry , TopoExplorer .   Thanks to Postholer, Halfmile, Gadget, Gottawalk, peanut eater, token civilian,  Lance Marshall, and others for their info and advice.  I also asked several questions of Skylabs Mobilesystems, who offer TopoExplorer , and got the answers below.  If you are con sidering adding T-E gps to your B'Berry, take note.  It seems to have minimal usefulness on the PCT.

1.  Advice, instructions, help - No instruction manual, printed, online, etc. is available.  If you have a question, you're to email the company (in Hong Kong).  If you have no cell service, you're SOL.

2.  Waypoints - "topoexplorer does not track waypoints."  I'm assuming that this means you can't add them nor can you download them.  If you can download a track or waypoints, it seems you couldn't display them.  This could be a slight drawback.

3.  Display of location - T-E displays the location of the device on the on-screen map.  I asked if the coordinates of the location were displayed in lat/long, UTM, both, or some other projection and got no answer.

4.  I asked if TopoExplorer maps were displayed in WGS84 or NAD27 datum format?  The answer was that " topoexplorer uses .tpx maps."  Not being a professional cartographer, I don't know if this is a sufficient answer or not.

SUMMARY -  TopoExplorer gps for a Blackberry doesn't seem to be adequate for even basic use.  If anyone out there has conflicting experience, please share it.  One responder suggested that Blackstar GPS seemed to have promise for use on a B'berry.  The learning process continues.

Thanks,

Mango