[pct-l] Backpacks

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:39:14 CST 2010

My fiance and I have carried Vapor Trail (kai) packs for about 2000 miles, about half of which were PCT miles. Here are a few thoughts:

A lot depends on your base weight - if your base weight is between 10-15# the vapor kai is a great option.
The vapor kai handles a bear can easily.
The vapor trail has more than enough volume for a thru hike (our base weight is about 11# and our packs were never "overloaded")
This is a no frills pack, only two small side zip pockets, and may take a little getting used to ie. setting up your gear and snacks at the begining of the day so as to not be constantly rummaging around.
The pack handles loads of up to 30-35# comfortably, above that you might want a more sturdy suspension (we've carried 40+ on occasion, you definitely feel the extra weight on your shoulders)
The Meridian and nimbus are good packs but do you really need a floating top pack and a side loading option for a 9-16oz weight penalty. Plus you will lose 400 cubic inches of draft collar volume with the addition of that top pack (Meridian). Not a good trade on the weight/convenience/volume scale. Some of the heavier pack weight is in the suspention (Nimbus) but this is overkill if your base weight is low enough.

So much depends on your base weight. If you've been able to trim that weight to under 15# the vapor kai is an excellent thru-hiker pack. We love our GG packs and will be bringing them again this year on our thru attempt.

jason