[pct-l] Snow Navigation & maps

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Tue Feb 23 15:36:46 CST 2010

Well color is all well and good if you have color maps, but most just
carry the guidebook and the green vegetation overlay doesn't often
show up. Even if it does, most topo map base layers are old enough
that the vegetation has changed - trees burned or grew, etc.

The key IMO is being able to see the contour lines on the topo as 3D
terrain. There are lots of freeresources on line if you need help.

Still, being able to navigate when you can see the hills and treelines
on the ground is one thing. What do you do when fog or snow blocks the
view, even to whiteout conditions? One thing I never learned until
later (in an avalanche class) was to consider not just the direct the
hills ran, but which way the slope you are currently on faces (the
aspect). With a map and compass, this can tell you where you are along
a slope, or which ridge is above you.

Why do I hear so much about lost hikers carrying GPSs or nothing at
all, but so few about those carrying map and compass? Maybe it's true,
the most important thing you carry with you is knowledge.

AsABat