[pct-l] Blackberry GPS

Halfmile list at lon.net
Tue Feb 23 10:56:12 CST 2010

I have switched to an iPhone and use an app called Basic GPS app to
read UTM coordinates. This works very well for me on the iPhone.

I never really used the Backberry GPS when I carried one the first
year I hiked, but I also carried a Garmin GPS that I used to log the
trail for my maps, so the Garmin had everything I needed as far as a
GPS. I did a quick Google search and noticed this Blackberry app which
claims to support UTM coordinates:
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/3089

UTM coordinates work really well but be aware of potential issues with
map datums. Your GPS and whatever paper maps you are using need to be
set to the same map datum (in the US it will be either WGS84 or
NAD27). My free maps at www.pctmap.net use the WGS84 map datum
specifically to make it easier for smart phone users. Smart phone apps
often support only WGS84 (although the Basic GPS app supports NAD27
with a $2.99 add on). Most printed maps (USGS, Forest Service, PCT
Atlas, Tom Harrison) use NAD27. If your use the incorrect map datum
for your maps, you will have a position error of about 200 meters N-S
and about 20 meters E-W along the PCT. If anyone is really interested
in this I can explain it further.

-Halfmile