[pct-l] Blackberry GPS or iPhone

Jim Keener ( J J ) pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Tue Feb 23 08:52:45 CST 2010

Greetings,

My reason for wanting GPS access on the trail is specific: to show my location relative to the trail. Say, in a high snow year in the Sierra. I am working on a process on an iPhone using the MotionX GPS app. It's a bit involved:

import Halfmile's section and other tracks into app (see manual for instructions)
open one track
show a circle or route marker that covers the track and import map tiles for that segment
turn off Map Caching and view the track

It shows the map and track. Various zoom levels can be set for each track. Of course the higher the zoom level, the bigger the file. And backup time to iTunes can take hours.

I would not use this process for general trail navigation. I think I might not need it at all. But then i'm carrying the iPhone camera email browser thing anyway: 4.8 ounces. And what else am I going to do until trail time?

Jim Keener ( J J )

jj at ridgetrailhiker.com

http://trailjournals.com/jj2010/
http://ridgetrailhiker.com