[pct-l] Poison Oak

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Fri Feb 19 12:13:40 CST 2010

Another couple of points re: poison oak.  Poison oak rarely if ever grows above 4000' in elevation so if you are aware of your elevation, you can use this as a guide if you have questions when spotting poison oak.

Additionally, while long pants and long sleeve shirts may help to initially deflect the oil from your skin, keep in mind that the oil will remain on your clothes and shoes for a period of time and you can easily transfer the oil from your clothes to your hands and other body parts when you are dressing/undressing.  My mother would frequently get poison oak rash while washing our clothes when we were kids growing up in Norcal as we had the oak all over the hills around the ranch.

For some folks the rash is just a nuisance as Piper has suggested but for others it can be lead to much more than this.  I was hospitalized when I was young after a hunting trip when I came in contact with the oil when I was field dressing a deer.  I had that darn rash in every orfice of my body!  Even now at my age, I have been forced to go onto steroids to clear the rash on several occassions.

I typically carry a product called Technu which I use to clean the oil off my skin.  I also used the technique mentioned earlier of rubbing areas with fine dirt when I was on the PCT in 2006.

But, just be on the watch anytime you are under 4000 feet in elevation.

Elevator