[pct-l] Peek Coverage

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 20:16:41 CST 2010

I used a Peek email device with the T Mobile network all along the PCT last year. W
hile I did not always have a signal I was always able to post to my journal on Postholer eventually. The Peek allows you to write your entries and save them as drafts. While in "airport" mode the device does not even try to transmit or recieve thereby saving power. When ever I reached a ridgeline or someplace with a view I would turn it on and send off my journal post. The process only took a few seconds. I actually had a signal in the most unexpected places sometimes so I took advantage of it and wrote journals while hiking.(This is why I had so many typos!)
It is true  There were many blacked out spots but I never intended to be connected all the time. I kinda liked the fact that I was limited to text.. Kept more of a wilderness feel I thought, while still allowing me to keep loved ones from worrying and coordinate resupply changes.
Oh, Yea.. No Contract, 20 bucks a month flat rate, no penalties for cancellation and I could have dropped it in a stream and only been out 50 bucks.
With intermittant use I stretched a battery charge for 8 days in the Sierra.
I am not a Peek salesman. I just want to give my real world experience of this gadget. If you want a simple 5 oz device that only does email for 20 bucks a month and accept the limitations of coverage, the Peek might work for you. If you absolutely MUST stay in contact every second on the trail.. Maybe it is not for you.
If you want to see where it worked for me my journal on Postholer.com contains many entries made while on trail and some towns.
One thing I noticed about the Peek is many times I would turn it on and it would not get a signal right away. I would hike for a few minutes and suddenly I would get a signal, fire off a post and switch the bloody technology off. It fit my style of "connectedness" and price range perfectly.
Just My 2 cents gleaned from actually using the thing for 5 months on the PCT.
Cheers-Iceaxe PCT09
Sent on th Go with my Peek