[pct-l] Feet Swelling

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 16 18:16:26 CST 2010

My feet got bigger for several reasons:
1) They became wider. My toes now are visibly separated when before
they used to be squished together. Having toes separated is normal.
Squished together is a result of wearing shoes too narrow, much like
the result of Chinese footbinding, only less severe.

2) They became longer. Not a clue why.

3) They got thicker skin. Thicker skin takes up volume.

4) They got more muscular. Again more volume.

During the hike, as my feet became larger, it was apparent in my
older shoes wearing out too quickly, in having my little toes on the
edges feel like they were sticking out too far and being stubbed on
things, and in finding myself having to wear thinner and thinner
socks in order to be comfortable.

Numbers 3 and 4 subsided after a few months. Because I refuse to
squish my feet into too small shoes anymore, numbers 1 and 2 remain.

I suppose if I had bound my feet into stiff boots, my feet would have
done what feet always do when cramped, which is adapt by folding the
toes under themselves or forming a bunion. I didn't want that to
happen because it really hurts. Especially when you have a neuroma
like I do.

Diane