[pct-l] Hand cycling along the PCT?

linda.hungerford linda.hungerford at comcast.net
Tue Feb 16 17:02:56 CST 2010

A very long time ago I spent a decade working for the Forest Service in the
California Regional Office.  Our line was always that wheeled
vehicles/conveyances were absolutely prohibited on the PCT or in any
Wilderness but that wheelchairs or other accommodations (walkers) were
permitted.  The user just needed to consider the myriad terrain challenges,
not the least of which is, in many places, a long series of sand-topped,
rough granite steps which could be a foot or two high and of varying widths.
Not to mention talus-hopping sections, or glacial stream crossings.

I live in Portland now, and I've noticed that there are some long stretches
of the PCT here which don't have anything like the granite staircase
obstacles, though they might have roots and sand traps and a number of other
spots that would require someone to get out of a chair and require some
assistance.  Perhaps around Clear Lake up to Mount Hood, perhaps down near
Mt. Theilsen; it might be possible to string together some pieces for a
person who was really fit and had a really strong desire for adventure.
And it would be inspiring for everyone.

linda