[pct-l] Timing & Creek Crossing Footwear

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 16 15:45:50 CST 2010

Let it be made clear that your timing has a lot to do with what you wear on your feet while crossing the creek!

First of all, time of year:
- dead of winter the creek flow is low, so rock-hops and snow bridges usually keep you out of the water just fine.
- from March on the flow increases to the wild, white-water rush seen along the Crest in May, June, and early July
- in August and September the creeks are running low, again, and some are not running at all.

Second, time of day:
- even during the white-water rush, a creek's flow is lower and quieter in the morning vs. the afternoon rush.

So, if you're a summer hiker along the JMT, be prepared for higher volumes in July vs. August and plan on picking your crossing a hundred yards up and down stream to avoid getting wet or wear that light weight croc because you can see where you want to put each step.

However, if you find yourself having the blast of your life up there during May or June, prepare for torrents that you cannot see through and have the skills to keep your balance while feeling your way across. Yes, utilize a "third leg" in the form of a sturdy nearby stick or pole to help you with your balance, but the major basis of your balance is your painless foot placement.

What's on your foot can protect your life!

I have had several life-threatening crossings in the Sierra and North Cascades, some in the water and some on logs or rocks, and I sure was glad I had sturdy-gripping footwear to aid my crossing!

All in all, know what to expect before you get there, both of yourself and what you can handle and the dangers inherent with that time of year and day and carry aids that you know will do the trick because you have already tested them in similar situations.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
    P: 888-996-8333