[pct-l] Stream Crossing Footwear & Goretex

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 16 12:28:05 CST 2010

Just a thought:

A few people have mentioned that their shoes do not dry out fast, so they do not want to get them wet for fear of blisters forming. Perhaps the problem is in the Goretex membrane encapsulating the shoe and holding in the water. A shoe that lets air circulate through it will dry faster than one that blocks moisture transfer. Now I realize that the Goretex lining supposedly allows air and moisture to circulate, but what happens to the membrane when dirt from the trail gets imbedded in the poles? Won't the dirt block the pores?

And why do we want a Goretex membrane in a shoe that is so low that splashed puddle water will soak socks and the water will stay in the shoe? And if the idea is to keep your feet dry when hiking over snow daily, why are past thrus saying that their feet are always wet? Are their trail runners too low, the Gore membranes not working right, or the splash from mud and puddles, the drip from trail-side bushes, and snow from constant post-holing soaking the shoes and socks? Maybe their gaitors are too low or not working well, either...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
    P: 888-996-8333