[pct-l] Stream Crossing Footwear

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Feb 15 20:37:28 CST 2010

There is a lot of effort to have as light a pack as one can create and for obvious reasons. However, some of these "reasons" don't really pan out for everyone.

Let's consider the current topic of ultra lightweight footwear for creek crossings. Got to have something on your feet, right? Why? Because you might injure your feet between two rocks, while stepping blindly anywhere, maybe into a sharp and pointed rock or branch, or just stubbing a toe. So, the idea is to carry an extra pair of "shoes" for just this purpose, something that looks like a pair of "flip-flops" on steroids.

They may be fine for mid and late season fords where you can choose the depth, width, flow rate, and amount/size of rocks on the visible bottom where you cross, but for early season whitewater, forget it. Not only do you have poor choices where you can cross safely, but you usually can't see the bottom enough to differentiate where the obstacles are--you have to "feel" your way across and stay safely balanced while at it!

When the current is trying its best to dislodge your feet and mis-direct each step in mid-stride, where you put your foot down becomes a matter of guess, aim, and hope. If your foot gets cut, bruised, or seriously hurt in this process, the chances of you going reflexively into the water are pretty good. What happens thereafter is no longer a matter of hope, but prayer. So, cover your feet up with something as durable and protective as your hiking boots so you don't suffer pain and fall in mid-stream!

Novel idea? What is wrong with cruising in with your hiking boots on, making a confident and balanced crossing that doesn't threaten to take your life, and simply changing your socks once on the other side? I've been doing this for 35 years and for the most part with the same pair of boots. Talk about durable suckers!  Walk your boots dry!

Maybe the problem with this idea is the construction of modern trail footwear, not built well enough to endure (in the effort to be lightweight) or too soft (for minimal break-in period) to prevent injury. Ah, but the kind of boots I'm talking about were those big, nasty, heavy monsters which, according to current fads, are considered BAD for hiking these days! Does an aspiring hiker assume all the other lemmings are right and do what they do (for whatever risk comes with it) or does he go out and test crossings for himself, choosing a safe design of footwear for the overall hike and maybe the sensitivity of his feet (from a practical, not theoretical standpoint)?

I understand that "a pound of weight on the foot is like 5 pounds on the back," but from a thru hiker's point of view, by the time I get to the early season nasty, dangerous creek crossings, my legs and overall strength will be like The Hulk's, able to carry most anything I'd ever want (especially for safety's sake) and not even feel it! So why would I chose to put on my feet, where the rubber meets the rocks, some flimsy, weak, membrane of a shoe that will not protect my feet from scree, dirt, mud, water, sharp sticks and rocks, toe stubs, and major side abrasion, allow my ankles to roll sideways and strain, not have the stopping power of a vertical heel, have one-piece soles that work well as skis in the snow, and wear out so fast (comparatively) that I'll have to leave the trail several times to buy new ones somewhere (hopefully)? Think of the time lost to do this, not to mention the risks taken while the shoes are wearing out!

ANNOUNCEMENT:  For the sake of the edification of the whole, Mountain Education will be conducting a research trip this May and June to video-teach how to follow the Pacific Crest when under snow as well as how to cross all the creeks from Cottonwood Pass to Echo Pass. A verbal and visual "Snow Guide" full of practical skills illustrated on-trail at precisely the places you're worried about! After reading the Guide and watching the CDs, you'll have enough tactical knowledge to practice the backcountry skills on your own before you do the trip yourself! Just because we do things a certain way or endorse a certain product, doesn't mean that you have to, but at least you'll have an idea of what to do and why, thereby enabling you to decide for yourself.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.
    P: 888-996-8333