[pct-l] Flip

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 15 08:54:11 CST 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 1:25 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi Toothfairy
>
> We really dislike the idea of not being able to have an
> uninterrupted hike
> north, but are also resigned to the fact it might not be the year
> for it.
> That said, it's still early.

 From what I've experienced, if a continuous hike is what you want,
you should plan on one. Every year it seems that there's a lot of
hand-wringing about the snow in the Sierra and whether a continuous
thru will be possible. Every year people freak out about Fuller Ridge
and Apache Peak. And every year people manage. Just get out there and
go for it. Most of the freaking out is really just hype. If at any
time things do prove to be too much for you, then plan your flip.

> Nevertheless, ever since I discovered thru-hiking and the PCT my
> goal has
> been a continuous thru-hike finishing in Manning - I'll sure be
> disappointed
> if we can't do it that way this year.  :-(  On the flip side, these
> things
> tend to feel way more important before hitting the trail than they
> do once
> hiking - at least that's been my experience.

It's an amazing journey whether you go continuous or not. You are
wise to know already that when plans change, you will still be having
a great time.