[pct-l] Just behave

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Feb 14 14:42:50 CST 2010

To the best of my understanding, Canoeman already has an appointment with
the PCTA's regional rep, Nitro for mid-February. This has been confirmed by
both parties. I don't need to be a part of any meeting between them.
Truthfully, the back stretch of the San Gabriels above Juniper Hills is
Canoeman's neck of the woods. I am not wrangling with him about what would
be the best alternate. He is the best person I am aware of to make
recommendations for trail alternatives to the PCTA above Juniper Hills.

My point is that he should not be making public declarations that promote
going through a closed area as possible alternatives, complete with maps and
pictures of someone doing it. It is irresponsible in my opinion encourages
hikers to seek alternates through the current closure. That is a very bad
idea, and if anyone doesn't like my saying that, well too bad.

Canoeman, as well as anyone else who has ideas or suggestions, should work
through channels.  After they've given their inputs, we all have to be
patient and wait for the PCTA and USFS to announce an alternative route
which MAY or MAY NOT include the proposed ideas. There is a lot more at
stake in the Angeles than what the thru-hikers experience.  It's been
clearly and repeatedly stated that ANY alternate has to be hiked AFTER the
snow and rain to ensure hiker and stock safety. There's a lot more that goes
into ensuring a safe experience than saying, "we could go this way." At
present the announcement is not anticipated until mid-APRIL. Posting
proposed alternates until that time is futile and dangerous.  It could put
someone's life in peril.

L-Rod