[pct-l] Yogi's PCT Handbooks - a quick read

Jim Keener ( J J ) pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Sat Feb 13 10:16:11 CST 2010

Greetings,

http://www.pcthandbook.com/index.php

I got mine yesterday. Delivered within the time frame promised on the site. Had difficulty sleeping last night.

First, there is no publication about the PCT that covers all the bases. That does not surprise me. But. Yogi's handbook fills a big hole. I would think that of all that is available, the handbooks are the best resource for people new to the PCT community. In my late night reading (third edition that I have bought), I rediscovered a lot of the joy I have about the trail. It's gossipy, factual, entertaining, educational, and informative.

My favorite new part is Warner Springs Monty's chapter about ultralight backpacking. The savings on weight and the savings on money for aspiring hikers could pay for the guides. It is as succinct a discussion of the issue as I have found. Monty can do the testing thoroughly, analyze the results, and report clearly.

In looking at my visceral response to the handbooks, I came up with this: the trail is more than miles and elevation changes. Even more than bears, and topography, and oak trees. It is also about the communities we walk through and the community that does the walking.

Problem areas? As with other self-published books, the availability and freshness depends on one person. And. I would like to see a much more robust web updating process.

Jim Keener ( J J )

jj at ridgetrailhiker.com

http://trailjournals.com/jj2010/
http://ridgetrailhiker.com