[pct-l] caching - how to do it

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sat Feb 13 10:11:46 CST 2010

It does seem caching is impractical on a multi-month thru-hike.

I do cache food on hikes of six weeks or less.  I don't bury food - I
hang it from trees.  It takes about a day to drive to trail crossings
along a stretch of the PCT on the way to dropping off the car.

I double bag it with plastic and then wrap it in screen to keep the
rodents out.  I've done this a number of times over the last 15 years
and never had a problem.  I even hoofed it in with five days of food for
three people to Weminuche Pass on the CDT - about seven miles from the
trailhead, hung it in a tree, was nervous for the next six days of
hiking, and was totally relieved it was there.  Usually I hang it at
road crossings and at least 100' off trail.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD