[pct-l] hiking boots

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 07:17:35 CST 2010

I put 250 mi on a pr of Aslo all leather Yukons (3  lb), giving up on them
quickly; I put 1500+ mi each on 2 pr Danner boots (2.5  lb), and 1500+ mi on
a pair of Danner shoes (2.0 lbs), before lightening down  last summer to a
pr of 500 mi END shoes (1.5 lb). That first pr of  Danners came thru Early
Winters, and was the first Goretex boot on the  market I believe; I knew EW
didn't actually make anything, so when it came time  to replace them I
accidentally discovered they were really Danners.
    They ENDs were great shoes, the best comfort and  fit I've ever had,
but END went out of business in the middle of last  summer, after just a year
or so, running right into the  recession/depression. Their shoes were coming
apart within 350 mi anyhow;  someone bought them out, but apparently had no
plans to reintroduce the line (so  why buy them?). I'll repair my original
ENDs, and wear them to trash. I bought a  2nd pr for $30 at the going out of
business sale, and will armor that 2nd  pr w/lots of protectant on the
seams and wear them to trash.
    After that, what scares me is finding something new  after all these
years, and after having been so lucky with the Danners &  ENDs, as to fit,
comfort, and lack of problems with the Danner durability.  Obviously I'll be
staying with the cross-trainer/runner category, but have no  idea what to get.
New Balance seems to be the most common name on the pct &  cdt lists.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas

In a message dated 2/12/2010 4:34:10 P.M. Central Standard Time,