[pct-l] bear pepperspray

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 14:02:54 CST 2010

Not at all.  And I was aware of the directions on the back.  The idea was to
spray the *ground* (not a campsite or or clothing, etc).  The spray I used
was made of the same stuff OC spray is made of (the stuff they use on rowdy
prisoners).  It wasn't pepper spray.  The contents of the box were pouches
of freeze dried food, and the whole thing was buried at least a foot
underground.  The mace was unnecessary, but I thought, "it couldn't hurt".
Figured that if a bear came sniffing around it'd make his nose itch, and
he'd just mosey along.  But, apparently it can *attract bears* (according to
other posters)... so I wouldn't use the spray for that reason if I had it to
do over again.

Bear bagging my food cache wasn't an option due to it's location (at a road
crossing with lots of people around... someone would have seen it and taken
it down).

Anyway, food caching in general is controversial.  So is the use and
effectiveness of bear mace.  I should have known better than to bring up an
experience involving both at once.  :)

-Austin