[pct-l] help with PCT -John Muir trail access

Sequoia Kennels sequoiagsp at ocsnet.net
Fri Feb 12 10:16:52 CST 2010

John Muir Trail on late March? In case you're not familiar with the area: The JMT will be under snow and inaccessable, by snow I mean 20 feet of snow. I live at the base of the sierras and the snow this year is the most we've seen in a decade. You may be able to hike a portion of the trail if you start in Yosemite Valley but there too you will encounter ice and snow. If you have snowshoes and experience snow camping that is the best place to hike on the JMT in late March.

For the best California hiking in late March, and closer to San Diego, may I reccommend Yoshua Tree National Monument. The desert wildflowers will be blooming at that time of year and as long as you carry enough water you'll have a great experience.

Happy Trails!