[pct-l] Hike for Cancer

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 11:21:19 CST 2010

There are about five of us hiking for cancer this year as well! Six more on the AT and possibly one on the CDT! Two of the hikers are survivors and several of us have family and friends who either survived, are in remission or passed away from cancer. If anyone is interested they can go to the link below. It benefits the Lance Armstrong Foundation.
Also, at KO Firefly will be bringing a shaver and myself and one of the survivors (another woman) will be shaving our heads and donating our hair to Locks of Love.  This is a non profit organization that makes real hair wigs for kids with cancer. Anyone else who is interested in doing this let me know and I will make sure u have a bald head or really short hair for the hike. (I will bring the donation forms and guidelines with me to KO) Not only will u make some little kid very happy, but u'll be a hell of alot cooler in the dessert!
Guidelines for Locks of Love
Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable.  If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children’s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches. Layered hair may be divided into multiple
 ponytails.Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.Printable Guidelines (PDF)Please Note:Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, it still greatly helps to reduce costs.Gray hair will be accepted and sold to offset the manufacturing costs.Colored hair is not usable if it is colored over bleached hair.

patti Sugar Moma PCT 09!
www.hikestrong2010.com hiking again in 2010 for cancer!