[pct-l] southbound Canada/U.S. border crossing

Charles Cornwall charlie98107 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 23:17:07 CST 2010

>From Manning Park BC Parks website (they're saying it is OK to cross into the US as long as you report in "as soon as possible" - see below.  This is what I did a few years back on a southbound section hike)

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/ecmanning/pctrail.html

Customs & Permit Information:
All persons leaving or entering Canada must have written permission from the Immigration department, for more information: http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits.asp or through Canada Customs.

The PCT Trail Thru-Permit information and form is available at: http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/permits/thru_permit_form.html

US

The US Customs is stating that persons can cross the border but are required to report to the nearest "Point of Entry" as soon as possible. Failure to report in can result in arrest. On the Canadian side there is a process to obtain written permission to enter Canada but there is also the requirement to report to either the nearest RCMP or Customs and Immigration office. Anyone wishing to use this trail should contact both US and Canadian immigration for information.

Here is the Canadian Customs web site: http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/
Here is the US Customs web site: http://www.customs.ustreas.gov