[pct-l] PLB vs SPOT

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 16:52:12 CST 2010

An evenhanded review of these devices:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=25569

And more info than you ever wanted to know:
http://www.google.com/search?q=plb+vs+spot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

As others mentioned, they are doing a recall the Gen 2 SPOTS (that fixed the issues in Gen1)

A SPOT device is more for family and friends than for actual safety. It is what I call a "Dumbo Feather"..
something that is not really needed (in this case, to be safe), but does provide the perception of safety.
It is not needed and may even contribute to people getting into unsafe situations because
of this perceived safety.

It if is what you need to make your family/friends feel safe, then it is not a bad thing.

 Just makesure you have the skills, knowledge and experience to make use of a sub-10lb kit, know how to use
your tarp, when to not go further, etc in addition to carrying this automagical devices. (cf. the young woman in
the Sierra last year).  :)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/