[pct-l] Geekdom: Links for trail

Halfmile list at lon.net
Wed Feb 10 11:16:13 CST 2010

JJ,
I would start with my free PCT maps from www.pctmap.net. I use Felaur
pdf reader [$2.99] to view the maps on my iPhone. With this app you
can download and save all my .pdf's directly into your iphone from
http://www.pctmap.net/iphone/ (best to download with a WiFi
connection). I always carry paper maps on the trial, but this gives
access to maps for sections of the trail you many not be carrying or
my maps as a backup if you are using different PCT maps for your hike.
You can also purchase the Wilderness Press databook as a pdf from
ecobrain.com and have it in your iPhone.
http://www.ecobrain.com/product_info.php?it=1&products_id=2093

Check out the link on pctmap.net to a Google Doc called the PCT Phone
Book. It has useful phone numbers and other information about various
PCT related locations. I will be adding more numbers in the next few
weeks. If anyone notices errors, missing numbers, etc. please let me
know. You can also view the doc here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pS0jvh_AtcfvkdaOkMASzIg&output=html

My favorite GPS app is Basic GPS [99 cents] used with UTM grids on
paper maps. It supports NAD27 maps datums with a $2.99 add-on. Most of
the other iPhone GPS apps are battery-draining eye candy not suitable
for long trails without cell reception.

Google Earth [free] can be fun and occasionally useful.

Google Latitude [free] looks to have potential for keeping track of
your hiker friends.

Yelp app [free] good for finding reviews of nearby restaurants in larger towns.

USPS Mobile app [free] locate the post office, look up zip codes, and
track your priority mail packages.

UPS Mobile app [free] track your UPS packages.

Facebook app [free] if you are into that sort of thing.

Accuweather app [free] weather forecasts, and pretty good weather radar.

i.wund.com site, weather forecasts, pretty good weather radar, with
access to "personal weather stations" so you are more likely to find
current weather conditions near the PCT.

www.forecastadvisor.com rates the accuracy of various weather forecasts.

Maybe some of the news apps from NYTimes, LATimes, USA Today, NPR, etc.

I am sure the iPhone has some photo apps to consider, but I have not
used many of these yet.

-Halfmile