[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 28

Kris Wallace fiddlekris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 15:19:21 CST 2010

Hi L-Rod,

I usually prefer solitude on the trail rather than being right smack in the
middle of a pack -- but even if I would prefer to avoid the crowd, do I have
a choice?  Based on what I've been researching so far for this thruhike, I
thought that I need to leave in the same window as the crowd to avoid too
much snow at both ends?

Kris

dsaufley at sprynet.com wrote:
"So, the question is, what are you personally comfortable with?  We see an
extremely broad spectrum of preferences here -- from true loners to those
who could not be out on the trail if they didn't have their social clique
(more of the latter than the former). There's also a whole subculture of
support people who follow The Herd, providing food, drink and they like.
They move north with the pack. So, if you leave in this window, you MAY have
a relatively solitary hiking experience on trail, but know that the same
will probably not be true when you reach prime destinations like resupply
venues and campsites."   -- L-Rod