[pct-l] , planning, rangers,

Kathryn Zimmerman thebaglady07 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:09:09 CST 2010

*This is the wording on the PCTA Permit page:*

"The U.S. Forest Service has implemented a $15 reservation fee to climb Mt.
Whitney, exit and re-enter the Whitney Portal on the east side."

*And this is the wording on the Permit:*

*Part B - Mt. Whitney Reservation(Whitney Portal Eastern Side)- *

*And the form asks the question*

  "Do you plan to access Whitney Portal: Yes: No: "

*and defaults to NO.*

Further, if you click on the link on the PCTA Permit page under Mt Whitney
permit you go to the Inyo Nat'l Forest site and can view the map that better
explains all this.  The trail we hike in on is outside the Whitney
Zone.<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/zonelarge.shtml>

But I agree with you, it's not very clear.

Consider it a donation, and they probably get lots of them.

Bag Lady