[pct-l] rangers

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 8 23:39:31 CST 2010

Nice story Shelly.
What is the big deal with some folks?
IF you aren't doing stuff you should be worried about getting caught for, rangers, cops, whatever authority figures, why worry about?  I can guarantee you the backcountry rangers don't want to hassle folks, or write ticket quotas, or ruin your day.  They are asking for permits more frequently in my experience, but I didn't get asked for a permit for years except at Whitney a long time back.  The second and third times I went there I didn't see a ranger one, just some friendly trail crew.  The only place I have met rangers with an attitude is in the Nat Forrest areas farther north out of Bishop, but I think those were times when I ran into someone having sort of a bad day.  My impression is they are being told now to ask for permits more frequently.  I have not yet been requested to show a bear canister or even asked about it.  But I sense that's coming too as I am reading comments now and then regarding being checked even though I have not.  But I tend to mix trail and off trail in the Sierra so probably miss a lot of ranger contact for as much time I spend out there.
So just have the papers you think you need, and a canister where required and spend your time worrying about important things like washing those stinky ass socks...